Mayor Rob Ford says protesters in the month-old Occupy Toronto camp in St. James Park will be handed notices to vacate and they’ll be gone — peacefully, he expects — “soon.”
Speaking to reporters Monday, Ford repeated comments he made last week that protesters in the makeshift camp will be asked to leave. Pressed for a time frame, the mayor said: “It’s going to happen soon. I can’t give you an exact date. . . . We’ll hand out the notices and ask these people to leave.
“It’s been a peaceful protest. I’m sure they’ll leave peacefully. . . . It’s going to happen soon.”
Deputy Mayor Doug Holyday recently took up the protesters’ invitation to visit the camp, which sprang up Oct. 15 as part of the international Occupy movement protesting the growing income gap and other socio-economic ills.