The Harper government has introduced a major overhaul to Canada's gun laws.During a press conference at a shooting range in northern Ontario, on Wednesday, Public Safety Minister Steven Blaney announced his government's intention to introduce the Common Sense Firearms Licensing Act.
The Common Sense Firearms Licensing Act would:
- Merge the Possession Only License (POL) and the Possession and Acquisition License (PAL);
- Restrict the ability of provincial Chief Firearms Officers to make arbitrary decisions;
- End paperwork around Authorizations to Transport by making them a condition of a license;
- Require mandatory firearms safety courses for first-time gun owners; and
- Strengthen firearms prohibitions for those who are convicted of domestic violence offences.